Revealed: The very colourful past of Buying London's 'Mr Super Prime'

Revealed: The very colourful past of Buying London's 'Mr Super Prime'

Dawn 0 6 06.29 01:18
When Daniel ­Daggers introduced himself to a global television audience last month, he did so in typically ­bombastic style. Against the backdrop of a glittering London skyline, and profiled by dramatic floor-to-ceiling windows, he boasted that he'd sold property worth £5 billion to the rich and famous. ‘There's no "I" in team, but there is one "I" in Super Prime — and that's me,' he said in the opening scenes of the new Netflix series Buying London, a supposedly fly-on-the-wall series profiling the work of Daggers and his team of glossy agents at estate agency DDRE Global.

Super Prime refers to the top 1 per cent of the housing market, a milieu in which Daggers, 44, feels so comfortable that he has nobbled the term for his Instagram handle, where he goes by — you guessed it — ‘Mr Super Prime'. This is a world of staff quarters and swimming pools, walk-in wardrobes and wine cellars, ballrooms, and en-suite bathrooms so cavernous that in one house the crater-sized bathtub, android 111 slot (http://www.positiveperformance.com/) lovingly carved out of a single piece of stone, is the size of the average person's bedroom.

All these features, coupled with the overblown rhetoric of the primped-to-perfection agents, will be familiar to fans of Selling Sunset, the Netflix hit which follows a group of ferocious LA estate agents as they compete to flog super homes to the super rich. The U.S. series has developed a cult following since its premiere five years ago and, doubtless eager to replicate the formula, its British sibling sees the vast palm-fronded estates of California replaced by stucco-fronted London townhouses and country manors.

Daniel Daggers (centre) with agents of DDRE Global in the show Buying London Unlike its U.S. sibling, however, Buying London has already found itself engulfed in controversy, with many viewers taking to social media to express revulsion at a series they feel is tone deaf in a world where spiralling costs make it increasingly difficult for people to make ends meet. ‘Crass' and ‘vulgar' are among the kinder epithets flung the show's way. Others have taken aim at what they claim to be clearly scripted performances and the fact that what appears on screen bears little relation to the reality of selling and buying property at this level.

‘There's no "I" in team, but there is one "I" in Super Prime — and that's me,' he said in the opening scenes of the new Netflix series Buying London, ‘It makes for good television but there's no resemblance to what goes on in a proper estate agency business,' sniffed Charles Lloyd, head of Mayfair sales at the high-end agency Beauchamp Estates, suggesting that the series had more in common with Love Island or Big Brother. At the centre of all this, meanwhile, is the charismatic Daggers who, almost overnight, found himself catapulted from relative anonymity to the position of national ‘Marmite' figure, accused by one newspaper critic of presiding over ‘the most hateful show on television'.

It's quite the accusation but, as the Mail discovered, it's not the first time the Daggers name has been embroiled in drama.

Comments

최근글

새댓글

Facebook Twitter GooglePlus KakaoStory NaverBand
404 Not Found

Not Found

The requested URL was not found on this server.